Wyoming General Hunting Information

This outlines the Wyoming Game and Fish  "General Information" PDF and covers all the extra information needed for hunting in Elk, Deer, or Antelope Wyoming. Whether it's using pack animals or how much blaze orange is needed, this section breaks it down in an easy to find list. No need to flip through page after page to find what you can or can’t do. Just find what you're looking for below, click, and you’ll jump right to that portion of the booklet.

a. Active Duty Wyoming Resident in Combat Zone Licenses. 

Complimentary resident general elk, resident general deer, resident game bird/small game and resident daily fishing licenses shall be issued to any Wyoming resident serving on active duty in the United States military deployed to a combat zone who is home on military leave during the applicable hunting or fishing season and returning to duty in a combat zone. Applicants for licenses shall meet the statutory requirements established in W.S. 23-2-101(a) and shall provide to the Department a valid, current military identification card, military leave orders, a current Leave and Earnings Statement indicating the applicant is receiving hostile fire compensation and proof of residency at the time of application. Licenses shall be issued at no fee to the applicant and shall only be issued at the Cheyenne headquarters office or Department regional offices.

b. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm (ATF) Permit Required. 

The ATF requires all nonimmigrant aliens temporarily bringing firearms or ammunition into the United States for legitimate hunting or lawful sporting purposes to first obtain an approved ATF Form 6 import permit from the ATF. Contact ATF’s Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch at 703-455-7801 or visit their website at

c. All Terrain Vehicle Permit Required. 

All Off-Road Recreational Vehicles (ATVs, dirt bikes and out-of-state ORVs displaying a permit or registration from their state) are required to display a Wyoming ORV permit while operating on public lands and other designated trails or areas (excluding private property) within Wyoming. ORVs may only be operated upon public lands when on roads, trails or areas designated “open” by appropriate local land managers (Forest Service, BLM or others, as appropriate). ORV riders should contact the local land manager’s office in the area in which they wish to ride to determine which roads, trails and areas are open for ORV use. Visit for phone numbers of the various land managers in Wyoming. The $15.00 annual ORV permit is available at most local ATV/ORV dealers and license selling agents throughout Wyoming or by calling 877-996-7275. Please allow 10 days for delivery. Major credit cards accepted. WGFD does not administer or issue these permits.

d. Archery. 

Specifications for legal archery equipment to take big game animals are currently being considered by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. The final archery equipment requirements will be available in the big game regulation (Chapter 32) and in the big game brochures on the Department’s website once they have been approved by the Commission and signed by the Governor.

e. Clothing Requirements. 

Big or trophy game and wild bison hunters must wear in a visible manner one or more exterior garments of a fluorescent orange color, which shall include a hat, shirt, jacket, coat, vest or sweater. This requirement does not apply to licensed archery hunters during the special archery seasons and licensed archery hunters hunting in limited quota archery only seasons. Persons hunting with archery equipment during regular firearms seasons need not obtain an archery license, but are required to wear fluorescent orange. Muzzle-loader hunters participating in limited quota muzzle-loading seasons are required to meet the above clothing requirements.

f. Conservation Stamp Requirements.  

Each person licensed to hunt or fish in Wyoming shall purchase one (1) conservation stamp for $12.50, valid for the calendar year. The stamp shall be signed in ink and shall be in the possession of the person while hunting or fishing. Hunters or anglers who acquire a lifetime conservation stamp or a conservation stamp authorization from the Department’s electronic license service system shall not be required to meet the signature provision.

Conservation stamps may be purchased from the Cheyenne headquarters office, Department regional offices, license selling agents and on the WGFD website. A lifetime conservation stamp may be purchased for $180.50 by applying to the Cheyenne headquarters office, License Section.

g. Conservation Stamp Exemptions.

Conservation stamps are not required with the following licenses: daily hunting or fishing licenses; special limited fishing permits; Wyoming 50% disabled veteran fishing license; any Wyoming pioneer or pioneer hunting or fishing license; Wyoming 100% disabled veteran game bird, small game and fishing license; military combat general elk, general deer or game bird or small game license; furbearer trapping licenses; seine/trap fish licenses; or deal in live bait licenses. 

h. Disabled Hunter & Disabled Hunter Companion Permits.

A licensed disabled hunter may obtain a permit that allows the licensed disabled hunter to designate an individual as a disabled hunter companion. This permit allows the companion to reduce to possession any animal the disabled hunter has lawfully wounded or killed, which he is physically incapable of pursuing. The disabled hunter applicant shall meet one or more of the following qualifications in order to obtain a permit:

1. Is permanently unable to walk, at all times, without the use of, or assistance from, a wheelchair, scooter or walker;

2. Is restricted by lung disease to the extent the person’s forced expiratory volume for one (1) second, when measured by a spirometer, is less than thirty-five percent (35%) predicted, or arterial oxygen tension is less than fifty-five (55) mm/Hg on room air at rest;

3. Has a cardiac condition to the extent the person’s functional limitations are classified in severity as Class III or Class IV, according to standards established by the American Heart Association;

4. Has a permanent, physical impairment that prevents the person from holding or shooting a firearm or bow in hand;

5. Has central visual acuity that permanently does not exceed 20/200 in the better eye with corrective lenses or the widest diameter of the visual field is not greater than twenty (20) degrees; and, or

6. Has written proof that the last official certification of record by the United States Department of Veteran Affairs or any branch for the Armed Forces of the United States shows the person to be at least sixty-five percent (65%) physically disabled.  

A person qualified for and in possession of a disabled hunter permit may hunt antelope, deer or elk five (5) days prior to the earliest opening date, excluding archery seasons, in hunt area(s) and for the sex of antelope, deer or elk set forth by the limitations of their license, excluding areas within Grand Teton National Park and the National Elk Refuge.

Applications for disabled hunter permits and disabled hunter companion permits ($5.00) can be obtained from the Cheyenne headquarters office or any Department regional office.

i. Donating Licenses to Disabled Veterans.

Hunters can now donate their big game licenses to disabled veterans. The recipients of any donated licenses will be sponsored by a qualifying nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to providing hunting opportunities to disabled veterans. Contact 307-777-4638 for more information regarding donating your license or acquiring a donated license. 

j. Firearms.  

Firearm calibers legal for the taking of big game animals are currently being considered by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission. The final firearm caliber requirements will be available in the big game regulation (Chapter 32) and in the big game brochures on the Department’s website once they have been approved by the Commission and signed by the Governor.  

k. Hiring Outfitters and Guides. 

Nonresident big game or trophy game hunters are currently required to have a professional guide or a resident guide only if hunting in designated wilderness areas. Maps showing wilderness areas are available from the U.S. Forest Service.

Wyoming statute states, “No person shall directly or indirectly compensate a person holding himself out as engaging in the business of, or acting in the capacity of, an outfitter or a professional guide unless that person provides proof he is a licensed outfitter or professional guide as required by state law. Any person violating this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.”

The Wyoming Game and Fish Department cannot recommend any specific guides or outfitters. Before hiring an outfitter, the Wyoming Game and Fish Department advises that hunters check with the Wyoming State Board of Outfitters at 1950 Bluegrass Circle, Suite 280, Cheyenne, WY 82002 or call toll free 1-800-264-0981 or 307-635-1589 or check the Wyoming State Board of Outfitters and Professional Guides website at to verify that the outfitter is licensed by the state of Wyoming. Hunters should be aware that landowners engaging in outfitting or guiding activities on their own land are exempt from licensure by the Board. Specifically, W.S. 23-2-406(a)(iv)(B) states: “Landowner means any person, firm or corporation holding title to, or occupying under a contract of purchase, agricultural land or any person whose family owns at least a majority of the stock in a Wyoming corporation and who provides services specified in this paragraph on lands owned by the corporation and used primarily for agricultural purposes.”

l. Hunter Lists.

 In accordance with Wyoming statute, an applicant’s name will appear on one or more lists, which may be purchased by the general public. Your sportsperson identification number and social security number will not appear on any list published or sold by the Department.

m. Hunter Mentor Program.

Any person born on or after January 1, 1966, who has not received a certificate of competency and safety in the use and handling of firearms, may apply to the Department for a special authorization to take wildlife with the use of a firearm while being accompanied by a mentor. A special authorization issued to an individual shall be valid for one (1) year from the date of issue and shall be in the possession of the recipient at all times while in the field. The application may be obtained from the Cheyenne headquarters office, Department regional offices or on the WGFD website. No person shall apply for and receive more than one (1) special authorization to hunt with a mentor. Any person acting as a mentor to a mentee with a special authorization shall not provide supervision for more than one (1) mentee at a time in the field and shall accompany the mentee at all times to provide constant supervision. The Hunter Mentor Program is not valid in Grand Teton National Park (elk hunt area 75), but is valid on the National Elk Refuge (elk hunt area 77). 

n. Hunter Safety Requirements.   

No person born on or after January 1, 1966, may take any wildlife by the use of firearms on land other than that of his own family, unless the person possesses or can demonstrate they have obtained a certificate of competency and safety in the use and handling of firearms. All hunt area 75 elk hunters, regardless of age, must possess and exhibit a valid hunter safety certificate. Compliance will be checked in the field.  

o. Hunters with Qualifying Disabilities.

Hunters with a qualifying disability may apply to the Department for a permit to shoot from a stationary vehicle to take wildlife. Permits may be obtained from the Cheyenne headquarters office or any Department regional office. This permit entitles the holder thereof to shoot from any stationary vehicle, except aircraft, to take big or trophy game animals, game birds (except migratory birds) and small game animals as provided for by Title 23 Wyoming statutes and Commission regulations. Shooting from or across a public road is prohibited. Permits to shoot from a stationary vehicle are not valid in elk hunt area 75 (Grand Teton National Park) or elk hunt area 77 (National Elk Refuge).      

p. Muzzle-Loading Firearms and Legal Handguns. 

Type 0 licenses are valid for muzzle-loading firearms or legal handguns only. See regulations for restrictions.

Wyoming has no restrictions on muzzle-loader ignition systems. However, breech loading blackpowder rifles are not legal in muzzle-loading only seasons. All legal weapons, including muzzle-loading rifles, can be used to hunt during the regular firearms hunting season.     

q. Transportation of Horses, Mules and Hay. 

Wyoming law requires proper health certificates for horses and mules being transported into the state. Persons transporting horses or mules out of the state must have proper proof of ownership prior to leaving. All hay brought onto National Forest lands, Wyoming Game and Fish Department managed lands and many BLM lands must be certified weed free.

r. Wildlife Violator Compact. 

Wyoming is a member of the Wildlife Violator Compact. This will allow a violator from any of the participating states to accept a wildlife citation and proceed on his way without being required to post an appearance bond, unless the violation requires must appear and no bond accepted. The Compact 5